Wednesday 13 March 2024

2024 - FAS #172 - Coming Issue Update...

Hello, just a quick update on FAS #172. The introduction section there is somewhat 'space constrained', so here's a bit more information on things. This next issue was going to be out in late April, but I'm now trying to get it out before April 2nd, when yet again all the postage rates change. Royal Mail is the bane of my life, and dealing with them will be one thing I will not miss for a single second when the magazine comes to an end. The current postal rates and various 'bands' are stupidly complicated. The new one's look no better!!

This next issue is problematic, not because of the issue itself, which is fine, but the mailing of it, or rather THEM. FAS #172 comes with a complete reproduction of the Japanese 'tour' programme from 1972. This (at 40 pages!) is pretty much another issue in itself, and I know many of you will never have seen this. Hence it's inclusion. Due to the current 100g letter, and 100g+ large letter weights and rates, posting both together, in some cases, causes significant issues with cost. The combined weight tips one envelope mailing into the 100g - 250g large letter weight band, which is actually over twice the cost of mailing them individually as letters (up to 100g only). Overseas it can be three times the cost (and trigger customs fees for some of you it seems, for some reason I don't fully understand). So for the majority of subscribed readers, the next issue will come in two separate envelopes, and a few days apart. However, if you sent stamped and addressed envelopes with your last subscription, I will try to use whatever stamps are there to the best value I can get out of them. So for example, if you have put a large letter stamp on there, or two 1st class stamps (for some reason) it's cheaper for me to put both items in one envelope and then make the postage up to the 100g-250g 'large letter' band. Complicated? Yes it is. So it's likely the issues will go out in smaller batches as I work out what package needs what stamps, rather than putting them all into the mail at once, which I always try to do. Sadly, also my local Post Office has now closed, as the lady there, who ran it alone, was just sick to death of the continued issues she was having with Royal Mail. Nena was very good at dealing with all the different things needed to send a magazine all around the world, and while the local corner shop has tried to take over... well let's just say they still have a LOT to learn. This means everything is much slower getting from this end.

Subscriptions will be going up a bit as well. I've not raised them at all since March 2019, and since then prices for everything have gone crazy. While I appreciate very much that some people send a bit extra when they resubscribe, this doesn't always cover the extras, like the bummer page issues we've had recently, and also additional things like the forthcoming Japanese programme reproduction, which I have paid for myself. So, taking everything into consideration, I think putting the price up is fair. It all goes back into the magazine, and I don't want to limp to the finish line. The subs will change quite a bit as we get to the final issue, and for some readers there will be a two, and finally a single issue subscription... That's going to be weird.

So that's where we are. #172 is completed, and paged (today - just finished), bit not final print ready tested yet. I'm pushing ahead to try and get it all done in time. Saving money is a great motivation. The price of postage may be going up, but I guarantee the service from Royal Mail won't improve at all, and I'd have to say, it's NOT the fault of your local postie!

No comments:

Post a Comment