Tuesday 17 March 2015

Andy Fraser Dies Aged 62

It is with deep regret I have to report the passing of Andy Fraser.
July 3rd 1952 - March 16, 2015
Our condolences go to daughters Hannah, Jasmine 
and Andy's brothers and sister.
Andy fought both AIDS and cancer and in recent years showed a strong spirit and uncomplaining resilience to his ongoing health problems. What a sad, sad day it is today  

"I’ve never really thought of myself as a bass player. It’s just, okay, it needs that low end and I’ll do that part, that’s easy. But, you know, I would write a lot of the guitar riffs or lyrics, or if you needed me to play tambourine, I was just as happy. My job was to make it work, to bring unity. Okay, this space is yours to work in, do whatever you like in this space, this space is yours. Do anything you like in that space. And in such, I sort of become an arranger. And if it was appropriate for me not to play bass, say for example most of “All Right Now” doesn’t have any bass in it. The bass comes in the chorus a little bit but that was appropriate cause that was all that was needed. So my job was just to be appropriate and when people talk to me as a bass player, I find it strange because, well, actually it was one of the things I do, and luckily enough it’s one of the things I could do sort of in my sleep, and people have spoken of 
me as a bass player ever since." 
Andy Fraser March 5th, 2015

That's because Andy, you were a superb bassist. 
Just stunning. Sail On my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment