Friday 10 November 2023

Free - Autographed Copy Of 'Tons Of Sobs' For Sale

Got some space cash you want to spend? Well if you have this might interest you. A first issue of the 'Tons Of Sobs' LP, fully signed by all the group, AND roadie Graeme Whyte. This will go up for sale as 'LOT 67' through Bonhams Auction House in Knightsbridge, London on Wednesday 29th November at 12.00 (GMT). They have an estimate of £700-£900 on this currently. It could sell for more, or less.

Derek, who currently owns the record, gave me some information, and I'm happy to  confirm the signatures are genuine as far as I'm concerned.

"I thought you might be interested to know that I have a "Tons of Sobs" album by the rock band Free. Autographed by the entire band including the roadie at their concert at Dundee University in late 1969 at which I was present. I have submitted this to Bonhams for inclusion in their "Rock, Pop & Film" auction of 29th November 2023'

The signatures were obtained by a girl I knew and the album was later given to me and I have owned it since around 1970. It is the first issue of the album with the pink label and orange logo. The record has a few scratches but is still good enough to play.

Unfortunately the sleeve has suffered over the last 50 odd years and is somewhat tattered with the bottom edge splitting and the top edge having been stapled many years ago.

The signatures are of guitarist Paul Kossoff, singer Paul Rodgers, bass player Andy Fraser, drummer Simon Kirke and also the roadie Graeme Whyte. I do not have certification of the signatures but I have absolutely no doubt about their authenticity as I was there at the time. I'm sure many Free appreciators would be interested."

If you want to bid on this remember you'll need to register for access to bid, so don't leave that until the last minute.

 View the item in the Bonhams catalogue here.

Rock, Pop & Film / Free: An Autographed Copy Of The Album Tons Of Sobs  

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/28540/lot/67/free-an-autographed-copy-of-the-album-tons-of-sobs-1969/

No comments:

Post a Comment