Wednesday 7 October 2020

Eddie Van Halen Jan 26, 1955 - Oct 6, 2020 R.I.P.

I couldn't let this one pass unmentioned. As someone who plays guitar a bit, and a fan of riffs and tasty guitar playing from many players, over many decades, Eddie Van Halen was a monster player. Really devastating and sad news today at his death from cancer. What a loss. One of the few lyrical melodic shredders. You can SING Eddies solo's, try that with some of the pretenders. Probably the most influential guitarist since Hendrix. You may not have liked everything he did, but you always knew it was him.

 

I first saw Van Halen with Black Sabbath in 1978 at De Montfort Hall in Leicester (May 31st). Fantastic show. They were on their first UK tour, about halfway through, and they were on fire. I was there as a Sabbath fan truthfully, and Sabbath treated them well, they had great sound and they absolutely 'went for it'. I saw them once more after that and while I wasn't a HUGE fan later on, I thought when David Lee Roth departed and Sammy Hager came in they got a new lease of life. So, much as I love the debut album, 'Panama', 'Jump' and the great DLR material, here I'd putting 'Right Now' to remind you just how good this guy was. Great piano riff, magical guitar solo and a really thoughtful lyric along with an equally provoking video. Everything perfectly in it's place. Fantastic song.

 

I was aware Eddie had been struck with cancer but I thought, like many it seems, that this was sorted out. That he had actually beaten it (no pun intended), Obviously not the case then. 'Right Now' your life is happening, and 'Right Now' your countdown clock is also ticking. 'Right Now' I'm cranking up some Van Halen. 'Right Now', click 'play' below...

 

R.I.P Eddie. 65 is far too young.


No comments:

Post a Comment